Square Footage Calculator
The Square Footage Calculator provides estimates for the area of various standard shapes, whether it's a lot, house, or another surface. For more intricate surfaces, you can divide them into simpler shapes and sum up their individual areas.
Triangle with Edge Lengths
Triangle with Base & Height
1 acre = 43,560 square foot
1 square yard = 9 square foot
1 square meter = 10.76 square foot
1 square inch = 0.00064516 square foot
Determining Cost Based on Square Footage
Whether it's painting, flooring installation, or home construction, the square footage of a space plays a critical role in estimating costs and required materials.
Painting a House:
- Professional painters typically quote based on a property's square footage.
- DIY enthusiasts also benefit from square footage measurements to determine paint quantities.
- The total cost considers not just paint but also tools and materials like brushes, thinners, and preparatory items. Labor costs are added for professional services.
- Costs rise with property size.
- Surfaces differ; wood, metal, or plastic might need a primer for better paint adherence. Primer generally covers 200-400 square feet per gallon, depending on its type and application method.
Different flooring materials have varied costs and qualities:
- Hardwood: Durable, easy to clean, versatile in design. Requires periodic maintenance like sanding and refinishing.
- Engineered Wood: Comprises several wood layers, including a thin hardwood outer layer. Resistant to heat and moisture, it's often cheaper than solid hardwood.
- Bamboo: Moisture-resistant, easy to install, and budget-friendly compared to hardwood. It can scratch easily.
- Comprises a plastic laminate top layer over plywood or fiberboard. It looks similar to hardwood but is more affordable.
- Benefits include durability, resistance to scratches, and ease of maintenance.
- Drawbacks: Hard underfoot, non-refinishable, and lower resale value.
- Varieties include concrete, ceramic, glass, and natural stone.
- Prices range from inexpensive to luxury.
- Benefits: Easy maintenance and versatility.
- Drawbacks: Cold feel, sound amplification, potential slip hazards, breakability, and challenging installation.
Building a Home:
- Square footage can give an idea of spatial preferences when planning a home.
- Numerous factors influence building costs, from materials and foundation type to roof pitch.
- Cost per square foot for building can't be estimated as easily as for flooring. It's often based on averages and can vary significantly.
- To understand costs, prospective homeowners should get a detailed estimate from a builder and compare it against homes of similar size.
- Beyond construction, factors such as regulatory fees, labor costs, building code requirements, and insurance should be considered.
In all these projects, knowing the cost per square foot can be an invaluable tool for budgeting and decision-making.
How much square footage do i need calculator?
To determine how much square footage you need, measure the length and width of the area in feet and multiply them together:
Length (in feet)
Width (in feet)
Square footage=Length (in feet)×Width (in feet)
This will give you the square footage of a rectangular or square space. Adjust measurements for irregular shapes.
How to calculate square feet?
To calculate square feet for a rectangle or square, multiply the length by the width:
Length (in feet)
Width (in feet)
Square feet=Length (in feet)×Width (in feet)